2D Shapes Using GEOMAGs

Tuesday 7 October 2014

This week, we’re studying shapes, which led us to study polygons as well. I used our GEOMAGs to demonstrate how polygons look like and how do we identify them.

DSC_0237

Initially, I took photos of the shapes and printed them out for him to replicate.  The names of each are written at the back for him to check.  After working out all the cards, we talked about the names of each shapes.  He can only name triangle, square and rectangle.  I have to remind him that the diamond shape is a rhombus (that’s how mathematicians call them LOL).

As I identify the rest of the shapes, I emphasized that the names are related to the number of sides the shapes have.  So when we talk about triangle, I made him count the 3 connecting sticks of the triangle. We did the same thing for square which has 4 connecting stick (sides) and we did it with the rest of our polygons as… naming then counting the sides.

 DSC_0212 

Mavi worked on it over and over again. He enjoyed breaking them and putting them all back again memorizing the names and the sides!

He was not this interested with shapes and counting the number of sides when we were just working with nomenclature cards.  I guess, it’s more fun when you use something that is tangible and something that they can manipulate to make learning fun.

These cards are displayed in his study table so that whenever he wanted to work on them, they are just available.

Check my Pinterest for more Math activities

Follow Pinay Homeschooler's board Math Ideas on Pinterest.

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child
Home + School = Afterschool!
Share It Saturday
The Natural Homeschool

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.