Botany Unit: The Plant

Monday 10 June 2013

Last week's activity:  The Plant  (my son is obsessed with Legos and he made a Lego plant similar to our cards LOL)

DSC_0388

This is how I store my nomenclature cards.  Nothing fancy, just a green cardstock (Green for Botany)  and divided it into three sections.  I measured the width and height of the cards to make sure they fit well in each pocket.DSC_0381

First we read books. I started discussing how does a plant grow, what does it do and it's essential role on our environment.

DSC_0378

Then I took out our materials.  This sunflower plant is from his school.  It's a perfect model for our study.

DSC_0391

Next thing, we talk about the different parts of the plant.  As seen here, he's working on the parts of the plant nomenclature cards.

DSC_0396

We also have blank labeling card worksheets.  He colors each part of the plant and writes the label/s on it.  He loved this!

               DSC_0399 DSC_0401 

Because I run out of felt, I wasn't able to prepare a poor man's version of a plant puzzle.  So instead I have him make a plant out of colored papers.  He did most of the work here.  All I did was to draw the outlines on the paper and assist him in cutting the parts.

collageii

  This is how it looks like when he was done.  I read the booklet to define each parts as he formed his plant.

DSC_0419 

If you may ask, all materials seen here (nomenclature, worksheet and booklet) are all in one file (click the  picture for the link).

 Th Plant

And because he can't get enough of what he has learned, he collected these on our way home from school. 

collage

Next post is all about photosynthesis and plant life cycle.

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Spring Carnival

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.