Math

Monday 26 November 2012

I’m curious how you guys practice addition at home.  Aside from the usual worksheets, what we do is mostly use our beads and counters to do hands-on addition.  I wanted to gather more ideas because as of now I’m running out of activities as to how I could make “addition” more interesting to him.  Don’t get me wrong, he loves addition.  At times he would randomly play addition using his fingers or spend his free time playing a MATH BINGO app.

I caught him one time playing with the app.  He's the happiest whenever he gets a correct answer.

               P1090716P1090720

We use beads as follows: 

I handwritten the equations on the writing paper and all he needed to do is follow what’s written on the paper and solve the equation.

DSC_0601

 

DSC_0603DSC_0608

For the bear counters:

I wrote numerical equations in a notebook and solve the problem using number cards and counters.  He records the answer in the notebook.  Aside from checking if it’s correct or not, I can also check whether he writes the number correctly.  At this time, he still finds it difficult to write number 4 and 5 LOL.

               DSC_1225DSC_1207 

DSC_1220  

So this is what we usually do with our Math :)  How about you... any more ideas?

Montessori Monday

1 comments:

  1. It looks like you are doing a good job with the addition and that he is having fun. Around this age I would often do mental addition with my daughter by telling her word sums (she was into wild animals so they often had animals in them) and then she could act out the sum with her toys or just do it in her head if the numbers were small enough. We had not got around to writing numbers yet and even now a year later she still sometimes battles with 5s.

    ReplyDelete