Continent: Asia (PRINTABLES)

Tuesday 6 November 2012

We recently travelled to our home country in Asia.  The plane was showing us our path, as we move from one country to another due to stopover.  I am amazed as to how my son was eagerly watching the animated plane moving on the map.  He keeps asking our current location, and where is it on the map, how far we’ve travelled and how much farther our home country is.

While everything is still fresh, I just have to pull-out an Asia unit for our continent study.  And coming from this continent, I am overwhelmed of all the things I need to teach my son.  It is just a BIG scope.   There’s just so much to teach, information overload that is for me!  I don’t know where to start either.  But of course, I cannot not do it all at once, anyway we can always revisit this subject anytime.  So I decided to focus on major countries that my son is now familiar with. 

Here’s the order of my attack on the continent of Asia.

  1. Well do China first.  No brainer here, it’s the 2nd biggest country in the world, powerful and influential.
  2. India comes next.  I am so enchanted with this country!  And he has a friend from his class who’s from India.
  3. Singapore,Japan,Indonesia and Saudi Arabia.  I won’t dwell much on these countries but we’ll look into each countries through the books I acquired from the library.  We lived in Singapore for a while so I just have to insert it. And of course, these books are in preparation for our study of No.4.
    DSC_1030
  4. Philippines.  Save the best for last!  A detailed study of our home country :)

As an introduction, we first examine the map of Asia and read books.

DSC_0972

DSC_0843

My son’s first impression was, “Mom China is so big!.”  He compares it to the Philippines where it’s too small and has many lost of lands.  By the way he’s now getting used of the concept of country and continent.  Not that he truly understands it yet, but he’s getting there.

DSC_0966Then we identified the flags of the countries of Asia. He enjoys pinning very much.  This time he volunteers to read the name of the countries written at the back of the flags.  I needed to share these flags with you... so here it is for you to use but it’s not complete though.

DSC_0979DSC_0985

We also talked about the famous landmarks that can be seen in Asia.  This part of our study he keeps on saying “I want to go there!”.  If you want to have a copy of these cards, download it from here.

DSC_0992 

For the animals, we will be using Montessori Print Shop’s Animals of the Continent

There you go... our introductory part of our Asian study.  Stay tuned for our China unit this week :)

 

Linking to:

Montessori Monday

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.