Study of Ancient China

Tuesday 16 February 2016

pinayhomeschooler (1 of 1)

Few weeks ago, Mavi and I were learning about Ancient China.  I decided that this year, we’ll be focusing in country-based studies rather than continents.  Last month we worked on Australia, and because of Chinese New Year being celebrated during February, I guess this month is the best time to conduct Chinese-themed activities.

To start with, we created a small world play tray with Ancient China objects on it.  To know more about this, click the image below or here.

ChinaPlay

Then we worked on learning about the location, biomes, lifestyle and culture of the people of China.  We used our China Picture Book and Cards in these activities.  I printed the Asia Map from here and the fact cards were from our Asia in a Nutshell. Here you can learn about the way of life of the Chinese people and their religion. 

ChinaMaterials

This picture book is Mavi’s current favourite obsession.  He reads it, enjoying his discoveries about China and love working on the coloring/writing pages.  So funny that Vito saw Mavi working on the cards that he couldn’t resist matching the cards to that of the outline pages!

China

DSC_0035

My 2 year-old toddler loves the cards! He matched the control cards to the outline pages.

pinayhomeschooler (1 of 1)-13

They’ve been practising how to write Chinese characters in school.  He’s good (But I coulnd’t understand what he wrote in the cards LOL)!

DSC_0053

Lastly, we made Chinese lanterns on the eve of Chinese New Year.  The boys had fun making the lanterns and observing the lights.  We used this Hands-on HIstory Ancient Chinese book from the library for our arts and crafts. I highly recommend this book!DSC_0478

Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Google Plus, Instagram or Twitter for updates!  More learning materials at Pinay Homeschooler Shop.

Pin this for later!

StudyAncientChina

3 comments:

  1. My daughter and I will be studying Ancient China soon...love your ideas and Asia in a Nutshell--thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Mavi's chinese characters look better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous! I've been waiting impatiently to get to our country studies this year. I had planned several of them. Hopefully we'll get to them soon. When we do get to China, I know where I'll be going for printables!

    ReplyDelete