Letter N: Going Nuts!

Tuesday 27 October 2015

I love nuts! We’ve got plenty around the house, thus I decided to come up with activities for Vito since he’s been seeing them around the house and loves to play with my walnuts.

Letter N Object Basket.  Reinforce literacy, letter ‘n’ symbol and phonics,  vocabulary, and verbal skills.  In the basket we have: nine, upper and lowercase N/n, necktie, DIY sandpaper ‘n’, nuts.

DSC_0849

Hammering Peanuts.  This is a practical life activity that develops hand and eye coordination, and develop those hand and arm muscles.  I first set it up in a tray, but the peanuts were slipping so I had to put cling film to hold them. Vito loves physical activities so he enjoyed this. The only drawback is that the hammer that we used were so tiny Open-mouthed smile 

DSC_0825

Letter N Craft.  I always make sure to include crafts in our weekly activities.  My main goal here is for Vito to practice his manual dexterity like squeezing the glue, picking up small objects or pencils.  Now that he’s familiar with glue, I gave him a glue with small opening for him to squeeze it. 

DSC_0838

Here he is applying peanut shells on the letter N. Improves pincer grasp through picking up small objects.  Note to parents: always supervise your children when dealing with small objects. 

DSC_0845

Color Green. I’m introducing letter green this week.  I gathered a few objects from his toys and place them all in a basket. 

DSC_0914

And we painted green in an A3 paper.  Working with one color a week works for him.

DSC_0895

DSC_0905

When they dried up, we place them on the wall for everyday viewing.

DSC_0964

Nut Matching. For visual discrimination (difference in objects), widen vocabulary and concentration.

DSC_0934

Counting Walnuts.  Builds early number and counting skills.

DSC_0942

Forming Shapes using Nuts.  Teaches shapes, fine motor skills and hand/eye coordination. This is Vito’s idea!  I made a circle using the walnuts then he took the circle puzzle and place it in the middle, matching them together. Brilliant!  We practice some more by drawing shapes on a piece of paper and he would trace the line using the peanut shells to form the shape. He enjoyed it!

DSC_0950

And that’s about it! And what I happened to the nuts? I’m still consuming them LOL. 

Follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, Google Plus, Instagram or Twitter for updates!

And you might as well PIN this post for future reference.

LetterSoundN

1 comments: