Alphabet Sensory Bin

Tuesday 13 October 2015

My greatest challenge as of the moment is how to make Vito interested in letters. Of course he loves them, but not in the way that Mavi does.  I know, I shouldn’t compare… reason why I try to give him stimulating and fun activities to get him interested in letters.  It was different during Mavi’s time.  Mavi had my undivided attention while with Vito, I feel that he always get the short end of the stick.  Good thing Mavi is now back in school so  I have time to focus on Vito in the mornings (in the midst of chores!).

AlphabetSensory

Benefits:

  • To kids, this is just play and children learn best when they are happy, enjoying and stimulated. 
  • Understanding what the letter represents by making a sound
  • Hand muscle exercise as a result of grasping and digging through the bowl of rice
  • Letter recognition by feeling the letters, ingraining the picture of the letters in their minds
  • Early discrimination skills (for matching)
  • Sensorial experience influence the development of brain pathways, thus it improves mental capacity to learn

How it works:

Hide the letters (foam, magnetic or wooden letters) in a bowl of rice (or beans) and let your little ones find them.

DSC_0812

Dig dig dig! While they can use scoops or other materials, I prefer using their bare hands for the ultimate sensory experience!  As they discover the letter, let them feel it and I would sound it for him to follow.  As an extension, I made him match the letters to the one written on the paper as he loves matching.

DSC_0845

DSC_0817

He was so fascinated with the rice sticking on his hand!

DSC_0854

Oh boy he was hooked! He had so much fun digging through the rice and and discovering the letters! Simple and easy to prepare isn’t it?

Like the post? Pin this for later!

AlphabetPIN

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous activity for little ones. I'm sure Sunshine would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous activity for little ones. I'm sure Sunshine would love this!

    ReplyDelete