St. Patrick’s Day Activities for Tiny Tots

Sunday 1 March 2015

StPatrickDayTinyTots

I am not really a fan of seasonal themed activities. Why? Well for a busy Mom like me, it is sooo difficult to prepare and assemble.  The fact that we live far far away from the city, our resources is quite limited. It is sooo hard to find materials that fits well on a specific theme (and I have no time to look for them either!).  Plus the fact that well, these stuff still cost a lot and space is my biggest problem here. Not enough storage for the materials! 

But… we all have to agree that it is fun to do it with your little kids.  It’s cute and fun! And the kids will have that feel of the occasion.  That’s why, because this month we are celebrating St. Patrick’s Day here in Ireland,  I am trying it out this seasonal themed activities with Vito!  Yes, I’m testing the water and see if I can pull off a seasonal themed activities and let’s see were this will lead me.  We’re not doing a bunch right, we’re only trying those that are easy to prepare and feasible for us.

Scooping giant pompoms 

                 20150301_130913 20150301_131029

Vito has been showing signs that he’s ready.  He always wanted to feed himself so I’m giving him lots of scooping activities so he can practice.

Materials:  giant pompoms (or berries or baby potatoes), plastic scoop from oatmeal box, plastic bowls

Recognizing the rainbow colours

DSC_0721 (2) 

We’ve looking at colours since last year and though we may have one colour per month, it won’t hurt to checkout different colours at the same time. Here I was talking to Vito all about the rainbow its colours.  We use my Learning Resources Critters Counters which I got from an Amazon Sale last year.  I was pretty happy that they have all the 6 colours of rainbow!

                    20150301_132453 20150301_132637

Materials:  colour cards (from flash cards, cardstock, art paper) and counters (or erasers/rubbers, pompoms, toy beads etc)

 Language and Vocabulary

20150301_132850 

So you might think that it’s too early for your little ones to understand all of these?  You might be mistaken! They actually absorb all the little things you show them!  Currently, there’s a lot of displays of leprechauns, rainbows, shamrock etc at the stores and malls. Vito sees all of these whenever we’re outdoors.  So what I did here was provide some beautiful cards with a clear readable font for infants (I used Sassoon Infant Std, standard font used here in UK and Ireland) and added tangible objects so I can show and explain to him what he is seeing everywhere.

Materials:  St. Patrick’s vocabulary cards (downloadable from this post, follow link at the end of this post), matching objects

Gold Counting Activity and Number Recognition

DSC_0799 (2)

I made counting cards as well and used some play gold coins for this.  Since the starting of the year, I’ve been introducing Vito to counting by counting his fingers, his toes, the buttons we’re playing, the blocks and anything at all. So here, I introduced counting with the symbol.  Again, there’s no such thing as too early or too late.

Materials: counting cards (downloadable from this post, follow link at the end of this post),

Mess Free Shamrock Painting

DSC_0813 (2)

Materials: sealable plastic bag, printed shamrock (you can get the outline in the web), orange and green non-toxic tempera paints

Put everything in the plastic bag… and let the fun begin!

DSC_0825 (2)

Vito’s shamrock masterpiece (after he basically torture the plastic!)

DSC_0828 (2)

And there goes our activities for St Patrick’s Day!  Even if these are all for Vito, big brother loved doing all of these as well! How cool isn’t it?

Now for your freebie, download your FREE COPY OF ST. PATRICK’S DAY printable, the TINY TOTS EDITION here!

More toddler activities can be found here in my Pinterest Board: Follow Pinay Homeschooler's board Pinay Homeschooler on Pinterest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.