Number Cards and Roman Numerals (FREE Cards!)

Thursday 26 March 2015

RomanNumerals
As you all know, we are rowing books from Five in a Row (we are loving this so far!).  This lesson in Roman Numerals is in line with the book The Glorious Flight (son enjoyed every single page of this book!).  This is the first time Mavi encountered such numbers and he was surprised to learn that the numbers are represented by letters!

I made use of our wooden Montessori number cards for this lesson and roman numerals handwritten on a paper (I ran out of ink!).  We started off with the units (ones).  He got the pattern right away and continued working up to the hundreds.

DSC_0497
DSC_0498

We stumbled on the thousands as I myself was not knowledgeable of the the Roman Numerals in thousands LOL.  We searched the web for the corresponding symbol for this.

He realized that he only needs to memorize a few letters because the representation is almost the same as counting 1,2,3. According to him, he just have to remember that…
ones is for I
five is V
ten is X
fifty is L
hundred is C
five hundred is D
thousand is M
five thousand is V with upper line
 DSC_0503
He worked on the rest of the numbers with less assistance from me and here he is so proud of his work! 

And now, if you are interested you can download your FREE COPY of the CARDS by clicking this link. Hope you find this helpful. Thank you!

Don’t forget to like and pin this!

More Math activities from my Pinterest board!
Follow Pinay Homeschooler's board Pinay Homeschooler on Pinterest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.