Artist Study ~ Leonardo da Vinci (Making Portraits)

Friday 20 March 2015

I am rebooting our Artist Study and we’re starting with portraits.  Now this project was inspired by Leonardo da Vinci. See our previous activities with Leonardo da Vinci here.

To know more about this genius artist and for inspiration, we first examine his life. We used this amazing book from the library, Levelled Biographies: Leonardo da Vinci[aff. link].  We enjoyed the book, and Mavi loved learning about Leonardo, not just as an artist but as a scientist as well. The book is appropriate for kids as it has a simple way of telling a biography and has lots of pictures in it.

Aside from learning about Leonardo, we also talked about portraits. I showed Mavi random samples in the web.  Then I took some photos of him outdoor to demonstrate what’s the difference between a portrait and an ordinary picture.  (You can also do this with your kids!) After which, we started making our portraits.  We used the DSS lesson for  the tutorial and some inspirations.

To create portraits, we used two mediums:  oil pastel and tempera paint.  Mavi wanted to use oil pastels (I never liked them!) as this is what they mostly use in school. So I guess he’s quite confident with it.PortraitsPastel

As you can see I also tried creating my portrait using the pastel but the black which I used for the outline started to mess with my peach coloured face! I just have to stop because my portrait is starting to look messy.

Now this is Mavi’s portrait made from oil pastel. He’s so happy with his work :D  Portrait1

Second try, we used tempera paints.  I like using paints! Easier to handle and less messy.  PortraitsTempera

And this is our finished product :) 

portraits

Tempera paints, oil pastels and other art materials can be purchased through Amazon, Target or any craft store available.

Mavi pointed out he doesn’t know how to make a nose and a mouth … so we’ll he'll be practising more.

Now this is an activity that you can easily do with your kids.  You can use any medium available, pencil, crayons or watercolour.  Discuss what is a portrait and what do they imagine to be in that portrait.  You can also talk about the back of your portrait, whether they wanted to be indoor or in the park, under the sun, the beach etc.

Like my post? More activities here!

Follow Pinay Homeschooler's board Pinay Homeschooler on Pinterest.

6 comments:

  1. LOVE this! I've bought a few beautiful pastels, but I haven't brought them out yet -- this inspires me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! ;) We love painting in our homeschool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful. My kids love art, but we don't do enough study of types of art. Mostly just free drawing, painting, or creating. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these portraits are gorgeous! I love art. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great study. We absolutely love artist studies too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! It's so simple, yet such a beautiful self-portrait was created. I need to try this with my boys too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete