Thoughts on Reading

Tuesday 7 January 2014

1601263_10152520546369689_1308585699_n

Caught my son reading the Polar Express early today before he goes to school.  I am amazed on how far he has taken off from the the time he was able to decode the blends.

My son started reading books when he was 3 years of age.  That time, I have a good supply of books with lots of CVC words (beginners) and sight words and that's what he would read. And surprisingly, he can read and spell complicated words as well. And I believe that the secret to this success was reading lots and lots of books with him from an early age (months old!). 

So to those who doesn't know where to begin, my advice is that... start reading books to your kids.  Do it on a daily basis.  Make it as part of your routine. From here, you can start learning phonics or any available program/technique suited for you.

For my son, there was no fancy program... I just  used the concept of Montessori when I was teaching him the phonics and how to start reading.

For reference, here are some of the activities we do at home to learn how to read:

Blue and Green Series

Language lessons

Spelling

Montessori Green Series

Beginning and Ending Sounds

Montessori Pink Series

Update on Pink Series

Word Family Strips

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.