Our Polar Expedition

Monday 13 January 2014

For this month's themed activity, we'll be having the polar regions.  We've done a couple of these before, but my son wanted to revisit it as they are talking about penguins in school and he has been asking me about the North Pole for some time now.

For our past activities, please visit any of the links below. 

The Polar Lands

Antarctica Unit

Antarctica Unit: Math

Aside from the existing materials that we have, I added a few for this year:

Map of Antarctica and the Arctic. By showing Mavi the difference between the two he will have a better understanding of these places. At least now, he'll know where the North Pole is located (and where Santa lives!).

      DSC_2418 DSC_2478

Reindeer(Caribou) Nomenclature Card.  We worked on penguins before, so I decided to do something different this year.  You can get the nomenclature cards and booklet of the Reindeer here. The file also comes with a definition booklet.

DSC_2387

For the miniature,we used the Caribou (Reindeer) in the Arctic Safari Toob.

        DSC_2380 DSC_2514

I love that mini figure is very detailed.  Here's Mavi identifying the tail!

DSC_2513

Animals of the Arctic and Antarctica.  My animal collections all comes from Safari Toob(Arctic, Penguins and North America).

         DSC_2467   DSC_2469 

For Antarctica, talked about the 6 species of penguins that live there (not all species can be seen in Antarctica).  I made some cards and fact cards for each penguin.  We differentiated one from the other according to their physical appearance and sizes.

DSC_2485

For the Arctic, we also identified the different animals that lives in that region and I made some fact cards to learn more about them. 

DSC_2408

My Arctic and Antarctic Printable Pack also comes with fact cards for the Arctic and Antarctic animals.  To know more about please read my post about it here.

polar4

For letter sounds and spelling, we worked on these printables (all in my file).

              arc1arc3 

Here, Mavi is identifying the beginning sounds of the animals using transparent counters.

           DSC_2492 DSC_2512

For the language lessons, we used these reading cards.

arc4

We used both the moveable alphabet and mini white board for spelling and writing practice.

      DSC_2452 DSC_2503

 

 

PolarReg1

For more FREEbies and learning aids, please check The Pinay Homeschooler Shop and Downloads.

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child
Home + School = Afterschool!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.