Intro to Number Bonds

Thursday 23 January 2014

Here's another bead work we did the other day.  The aim of the activity is to identify the two beads that would form the number in the number cards (2 parts and a whole).

First we laid out the number cards from 1 to 10.

DSC_2620 - Copy

Then we placed the bead correspondence of each number cards.  After which, we started 2 and identify smaller numbers that would make 2.  It was difficult for Mavi at first to grasp the concept.  We went on slowly and I did most of the presentation. 

DSC_2627 - Copy

In between, I would take 1 part of the bond and ask him for the other part. Say for 5, I put number 3 (part) and asked him the other missing part that would complete the number 5.

 DSC_2629

As you can see he is using his fingers to calculate the missing part.

DSC_2634

I also encouraged him to count the beads instead of using his fingers.

 DSC_2637

I love how this activity ended.  This will familiarize the child that bigger numbers can be formed by putting small numbers together (in different ways). This is also a good introduction to fractions, addition and subtraction.

We will be doing this again and again though as enjoys the mystery and the challenging of finding out the other part :)

DSC_2641

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child
Home + School = Afterschool!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.