The Moon

Monday 2 April 2012

Here’s the Moon unit we did for the past few days to go along with our Goodnight Moon Before FIAR

Read books which I borrowed a few books from the library aside from the ones we already have.

DSC_0307

My son can now appreciate space facts, astronauts, rocket ships and planets.  Unlike the first time we had the moon unit.

     DSC_0309 DSC_0310

The space toob which was a gift for him was very useful during his play pretend of space and planets.

408080_10150726429169689_608944688_12181274_876784697_n

Now on serious stuff, I discussed the the position of the moon, earth and sun in space.  

DSC_0315

Then I talked about the moon revolving around the earth and that the earth revolves around the sun.  I demonstrated this using our felt planets and he was fascinated.  He tried doing it by himself.

DSC_0313

Then we worked on the phases of the moon.  I was very careful telling him that there’s only one moon but it looks different from time to time.  Since this topic is a bit complicated for a 3 year old, I just compared to it making faces.  Sometimes we look sad, happy or mad but we only have one face.  And with this, he started making faces as well... just funny that he was able to get the point somehow.

Here he worked on the nomenclature cards of the phases of the moon.

  DSC_0316

And using felt moons, we talked about the moon getting bigger and getting smaller.

  DSC_0318

I made him worked through the phases by positioning the moon phases as to the ones on the book.  From here, I asked him on what side does the moon gets bigger or smaller.

 DSC_0324

DSC_0328

So everytime we’re outdoors, and he would see the moon, I love that he would describe it to me as “it’s a gibbous moon” or “it’s a crescent moon”... not just “ a moon”.    As a mom, it really makes you happy that your child digest what you have taught them :)

  DSC_0338

Over the weekend, we made a hanging moon phases and placed it on our verandah.  I cut out the shapes of the phases and my son covered it with kitchen foil.

     DSC_0339 DSC_0343

Here they are... the phases of the moon all in silver!

DSC_0350

Then I put it all together and hanged them for us to look at each night :)  The camera though cannot do justice on how good it looked during the day, especially when the sun would shine on it... it sparkles!

 DSC_0366

And the silhouette looks lovely too! 

 DSC_0439

I hope you enjoyed reading  my post.  These days, I really don’t have the luxury of time to make an update so I just try to post as much photos to describe what we did.  Till next time!

Linking to:

Photobucket  Montessori Monday

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.