Clouds for Preschoolers (FREE nomenclature cards)

Saturday 28 April 2012

We have a week of wonderful weather, I grabbed the opportunity to discuss about clouds since we’ve been staying mostly outdoors.

I made 3-part cards of the different type of clouds.  As you can see, I only talked about basic type like the cumulus, stratus and cirrus.  Then I added those we mostly see here like contrails, fog and lenticulars.   You can download this homemade cards from here.
DSC_0707
My son loves to hear me talked about mother nature.  Especially those of which he can easily relate to.  So after we discuss clouds... each day he would peek into our verandah and check on what type of clouds he sees!  It’s just amazing!
I also asked him if we could make cloud samples using cotton balls.  He got very excited.  We started with cirrus clouds.  I reminded him that cirrus clouds looks like feathers... so they should be thin.
DSC_0715
This is what he comes up with.  He finds it difficult to glue thin layers of cottons though, they tend to stick together.  But I was glad that he was patient enough to produce the best cirrus cloud he make.
DSC_0719
Then his favorite, the cumulus clouds.  DSC_0724 
And the stratus, and he did not forget to add his name.  He admire his work and asked me if we could show it to his Dad later. 
DSC_0727
So this is the easiest way I could introduce clouds and their different types to my son.  We’ll be taking this one at a time...baby steps.  For now we’re doing basics, I plan to add more topics like water cycle and more types as he progress and old enough to digest these concepts.
DSC_0732
Linking this to:
Montessori MondayPhotobucket

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! I love the clouds with the cotton balls. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you are having a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. My kids have been staring at the clouds lately. I may have to get them to do this.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great hands on lesson! I've also made clouds with shaving cream and glue!

    ReplyDelete