Digging Up Dinos!

Monday 12 March 2012

Okay so I braved myself setting up some sensory tub for my son.  Actually the main purpose of this tub is to excavate the dinosaurs.  We’ve been reading books about dinosaurs lately and my son kept on asking me why some people dig dinosaurs.  It is so hard to explain it to him at the moment since he has no idea of extinction and death.  So just for fun, I told him that we will excavate (dig-up) dinosaurs and be scientists for a day!  And he was ecstatic!

Here’s our little sensory tub for digging up dinosaurs.  It contains salt (LOL) because we don’t have play sands.  I was thinking using a brown rice but they’re a bit pricey.  Then I added some egg carton box for volcanoes, mini chocolate eggs and some rocks.

DSC_1197

This activity was primarily inspired by the Adventure of Bear’s post. She also shared a link on where to get these dinosaur information.  The ones on the tray were dinosaurs that eat meat (carnivores) while the strips on the left are for dinosaurs that eat plants(herbivores).

 DSC_1198

And here’s my son digging up dinosaurs and their eggs :)  We matched the dinosaurs he discovered to the ones on the strip.    As we match, I discussed whether the dinosaur eats plants or meat.  He enjoyed eating the eggs too!

   jj

I love how he concentrates when he’s working and how serious he was. 

DSC_1221

He enjoyed matching as well.

DSC_1236

And this is what we ended up with.   I love that he learned what “excavate” and “scientist” means.  He uses these words now.

  DSC_1235

It was fun fun fun! Despite the mess he made later(I forgot to take photos!) it was still worth the clean-up because I knew he truly had a blast and learned a lot.

Linking this to:

Photobucket Montessori Monday

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.