Guide for Space Study with FREE Resources

Friday 10 July 2015

I’ve been planning this unit since last month because I wanted to prepare ahead of time. We’ve done A LOT of space unit in the past and I wanted to upgrade the lesson, add something new for Mavi to learn.  So right now, I’m sharing our Space Study for this year. I’m also putting a bunch of links from our previous lessons and activities for your reference. I hope you find this post helpful.

SpaceStudy FB

Space and Solar System

                DSC_0049_thumb[4]DSC_0428ii_thumb[5]

Solar System and Planets Part I

Solar System and Planets Part II

Planets and Solar System Preschool

Moon Phases

         DSC_0328_thumb[3] (1)DSC_0032[7]

The Moon

Phases of the Moon

A look at the Northern and Southern Sky

We looked into the constellations of stars seen in the northern and southern hemisphere.  This is to make Mavi aware that there are stars that can be seen in the northern part of the world but not visible on the other side.

                    DSC_0646DSC_0649

Stars and Constellations

For the details of our constellation study, click here or on the image below.  The material we used here is the FantaColor Design.DSC_0643

Space Exploration History

I made chronological cards of the space exploration history.  The pictures and the fact cards were all taken and referenced from Wikipedia and Wiki Commons.  Though Mavi can read this straight from the sight, I wanted to have something tangible and something that we can work on, like arranging the timeline and matching it with objects.

DSC_0577

The cards I created contains the year and a title of the major event that occurred in that year.  The description is very much readable by kids though there were a few words that Mavi couldn’t pronounce well or he needed to ask me for the meaning.  Such a good material to improve reading skills, spelling and vocabulary!DSC_0656

After which, I showed him how we can arrange the cards according to their timeline.  This gives him a visual presentation of the order of events. 

DSC_0678

Aside from arranging the cards chronologically, you can also use them to match objects.  Here we used Safari Toobs Space, Safari Toob Insects (fly) and Safari Toob Farm (dog).

DSC_0624

So if you wanted to have a copy of the cards for Space History Timeline, click here for the link.

Parts of a Space Shuttle

The parts of a space shuttle is something that Mavi really looked forward too.  Oh boy he was so happy that I made him another “flying object”.  The first one was the Airplane Nomenclature Cards, and here’s the newest Space Shuttle Nomenclature Cards.  This is based on the NASA’s space shuttle design.  Using the cards, a child will learn the different parts of a space shuttle.  I wrote the parts’ functions in a notebook because I was out of ink.

DSC_0597DSC_0594

To get a copy of the Space Shuttle Nomenclature Cards, click here.

Sensory Tub

Now, this is something I prepared for both of the boys to play with.  Xavi had his own Letter S: Star Unit study last week so I it was timely that I prepared this Space Sensory Tub for the boys.  Figures are from Safari Toob Space, homemade PlayDoh planets and homemade Earth felt.

oDSC_0519                       DSC_0557DSC_0563

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.