How to Teach Fractions with Manipulatives

Friday 29 May 2015

Last week, Mavi and I got a little bit of time to work on fractions.  I've been wanting to do this with him but we seldom have some time together because of Vito.  So it took us around 3 days to complete the activities.  

Fractions can be very intimidating to kids. Especially the fact that the numbering is quite different from that of a conventional number.  But with proper manipulatives, and presentation, this can be a very interesting topic... and fun too!

In this case, I used my son's favourite pita bread to present fractions.  You may use a paper, a bar of chocolate or any favourite thing or toy that can be divided.

What is a fraction? 
Fraction is basically a part of whole, and each part must have an equal size.  Here I divided the pita bread into four.  You can ask your child the shape it created for a little bit of geometry lesson :)  


How to write fractions?
So now, the whole (1) has now 4 equal parts.  You can write this as 4/4 (this is a whole).  Now Mavi wants to eat 1 part, thus we can say that he eats 1 out of 4 equal parts.  And I showed Mavi how to write that part, 1/4.  

1/4 means 1 out of 4 equal parts.

What fraction of the circle is shaded?

As we move on, Mavi practised how to write fractions.  We used our fraction pies for this activity. So this is Mavi counting the fraction that is NOT black.

Similarly, I made him form the fractions using the number symbol that I created.  He's working on the pies randomly thus the blue and yellow are not yet done.

There are so many ways that you can practice fractions.  We have this math cubes which we love to use in our math activities and I also presented this to Mavi.  I showed him that fraction is not just about pies, it can be of anything that is equally divided.  

We will do a lot more in this subject as he loves making fractions.  We'll try to explore other materials as well like paper, chocolate bars and fraction tiles (if available).

And that's about it! Hope you find this post helpful!  Feel free to share this with your friends and don't forget to pin this for future reference!

Follow me on Pinterest!

Follow Pinay Homeschooler's board Pinay Homeschooler on Pinterest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.