The Hundred Board

Sunday 9 March 2014

Aside from the Golden Beads, I also purchased the ever popular Hundred Board.  Now I understand why it is one of the bestselling Montessori materials.  The main function of the board is to familiarize the child of the numbers from 1 to 100 and reinforce the sequence.  But I can see a whole lot more.  At home, we use it for games that teaches patterning, addition and skip counting.DSC_0516 

Here's an example of a simple patterning set-up I have.  You can see missing horizontal and vertical lines for Mavi to complete.  Before we start the game, I let him discuss his observations.  After which I tell him that to complete the board without counting, he needs to see how the pattern goes.  Here on the first set up, the first digit is increasing while the second digit remains the same. 

DSC_0510

With the second set-up, the first digit is constant while the second digit is increasing (see the numbers 1-10).DSC_0515

This technique helped him complete the hundred board without starting from 1 or if there's a mixed-up setting.   I was happy that he grasped the concept easily.  At times, I can see him place the tiles on the square by counting and sometimes by just following the order and pattern.DSC_0474

He complains that it's difficult to complete starting from 1, but by introducing some games he was more eager to use it and began enjoying it. 

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child
Home + School = Afterschool!
Natural Homeschool's Montessori Linky

1 comments:

  1. The Hundred Board is always a little intimidating for the children in my classes-especially the task of packing them all away. But the children are always happy and proud once they have accomplished it. I usually ask the children if they want to let the Hundred Board stay on the rug for the rest if the day and just pack away the next day. Just so they don't get tired so much and so they can look at their Hundred Board on the rug within the day once in a while and feel a sense of accomplishment. :)

    ReplyDelete