Learning about SETS

Saturday 26 October 2013

Creating sets by sorting is for me a fundamental basis of virtual mathematics.  A set is basically a collection of objects with distinct properties.  And for kids, we do this mostly with the basic activity of sorting.

Since it's the midterm break, Mavi and I will be doing lots of math activities.  We'll be reviewing basic math concepts using manipulatives for retention :)

First on my list is the concept of "sets". 

For toddlers, this is just a sorting activity.  But for a kindergarten, I have to elaborate that it's all about making collections or groups. 

WHAT YOU NEED: 

  • counters and other manipulatives (buttons, bear counters, patterning shapes)
  • instead of using a sorting cup or tray, I used colored cardstock

   collagei

Here's how I set them all up on a table.  I prepared instructions on a strip of paper for him to read and work on. 

DSC_1643

Each instruction varies, like: "set of seven red objects", "set of three blue buttons", "set of four squares".collageii 

And we also revisited our Numbers and Counters :)  My son loves this!  DSC_1654

We'll do basic addition and measuring next :)

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.