Learning about LENGTHS (Measuring)

Tuesday 29 October 2013

This is an introduction to a RULER, and new concepts like length, inches and centimeters were also introduced.

We have done measuring activities previously but at that time, my son wasn't really interested and cannot grasp the concept. 

But I happily announce that in this activity, he was totally engrossed!  I can't describe the concentration and dedication he showed me whenever I ask him to cut a center length of paper strip or make a worm of  certain length using PlayDoh.

Make sure that your child understands the concept of length (or how long) as you will be using it often in this activity.  Also I recommend that you talk about the ruler first, describing inches and centimeters (this depends on the age of your child).

Here are some of the tools we used that can be easily found inside your house:

  • Small and large paper clips.  You can connect them and make your child measure (inches or centimeters) it or the other way around.

 DSC_1685

  • PlayDoh or homemade dough.  I asked him to make a very long "worm" of playdough and cut them into specific lengths.

DSC_1691 

  • You can also use craft sticks. 

DSC_1701

   I also cut different strips of paper and made him match the labels for each strip using a ruler. 

DSC_1698

Now this time, I made him create the strips according to my instructions.  BUT first, you need to show the child how to use the ruler to measure strips of paper and most importantly TRY TO DEMONSTRATE at first.

Here, I have to keep on reminding him always start at '0'.  I didn't realize it was complicated because he has to adjust the ruler's position from time to time to make the starting point at '0'.

               DSC_1705  DSC_1708 

   He labeled the strips.DSC_1714

And what more would interest your child than to measure parts of his body!  In our case, we measure his fingers LOL.

DSC_1710

Hope this post gives you idea on how to go start learning about lengths and sizes.  My next objective is we'll measure weights.  But I still have to get some materials for this one and I am eyeing this weighing scale.  A wishlist for Christmas!

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child
Home + School = Afterschool!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.