Moon and Planets

Sunday 23 October 2011

Last week we were rowing Goodnight Moon and ABC Bunny.  We also read Papa Can You Take the Moon for Me and the Stars and Planets book from the Ladybird Read It Yourself Series as follow-on reads (related to moon and stars).

My son got really excited upon knowing that we’ll be doing activities related to space.  You see lately, he’s so obsessed with rocket ships and told me he wanted to go to the Moon riding a rocket ship.  And he loves to memorize the planets! Goodness. 

To feed his enthusiasm, we started with the nomenclature card of the Phases of the Moon.  I got mine for free from ETC.  It  helped that we arranged the phases of the moon on the events that occurred in Papa Can You Take the Moon for Me, for my son didn’t get bored or tired understanding the topic.  (He tends to listen intently when I discuss topics related or based on a book he read).  For him it was just a story telling.  But of course, he picked the concept that the moon can get bigger or smaller.

P1020958 

Then we did the matching game: picture cards with the control cards/label with the control cards.  Supposedly he should match the label with the picture card but then he still couldn’t do it so I just made him do the later.

           P1020966P1020960

And I was inspired by this project from Adventures of Bear that I just got to do it with Mavi too.   I did all the cutting as he can’t cut circles yet... he did all the gluing job including putting the labels.  My son considered it a masterpiece!

P1020973

After I took his picture he insisted that he should take my photo too... with his work.

P1020987

The last activity that we did was the planets.  This wasn’t supposed to be part of the unit but then he got the book and started reading it to me.  He kept on asking me the names of all the planets for at that time, he can only memorize the first three.  So I took my nomenclature card (homemade) and discussed each planets.  I did the discussion in a ‘story telling’ manner.

        P1020969

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.