Parts of a Plant

Thursday 28 July 2011

While we were on a vacation at my parent’s house I grab the opportunity to teach Mavi all about plants and its different parts.  It was the best place to explore different types of plans as we are free to “pick” all parts necessary for our lesson.

Thus, we ended up having this.  The nomenclature card was from Montessori Print Shop.  I didn’t use the picture and label cards as of the moment as I was just introducing this to him.  Later, when the right time comes I’ll be giving him the full set of nomenclature cards so we can go to details as matching the labels to pictures and etc.  As of now, we just matched the actual parts to that on the control cards.

P1000180

But what my son really enjoyed was how we collected all the parts.  He was very excited about it as he LOVES to pick flowers and plants! It’s a good thing they were my mother’s hehehe.

First stop, we picked some flowers.  That heart-shaped basket was borrowed from his cousin. It’s like were doing “groceries”!.

P1000160 

Then we went on to search some stems and buds. My Mom has a wide collection of plants in her garden, so we moved on from one plant to another after he has “touch and feel” the stems, buds and leaf/leaves.

P1000176P1000168

P1000173 

And look! We saw this little thingy.  I don’t know how it is called in other language, but in our dialect, we called it “intsik intisk”.  Mavi was so amazed to see such a thing!

P1000179

Then I have to show him the roots. This one is pretty hard because I have to pick a whole plant.  Luckily there was some grasses, I pulled them off the ground and showed him the roots.  He was so giddy when he saw them... but doesn’t want to hold it.  He was telling me it’s dirty!   He haven’t seen actual roots anyway so I can feel his excitement. (Shown on below are some roots and buds)

     P1000190P1000191

He truly enjoyed our activity! And I love it that we did this together.  He cooperated and very attentive.  I hope we could do more of this in the future.  This is one of the reason why I always dreamed of having a back (or front) yard so Mavi and I can do lots and lots of outdoor activities together.  The joy in teaching and learning!

P1000162

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.