Montessori Inspired Skip Counting

Thursday 13 November 2014

skipcounting copyI wonder how you teach kids to skip count?  When I was younger this was one of the thing that I despise the most. Why? Because basically they just want us to memorise it.  With the available resources now, I want my boys to love skip counting…. as I always tell Mavi, you will use this technique all the time for the rest of your life :)

We had a few practice on this but I never had a the chance to come up with a serious unit or lesson for this.  Now he’s a bit older to understand and appreciate, I decided to come up with sheets to get him into the skip counting thingy.

First I created the hundred sheets, and discuss the concept about skip counting (by 2’s, 5’s and 10’s).  I cross-out the count in our sheets and made him mark it using our Do-a-Dot markers.

DSC_0568

“Look Mom! It has a pattern!”

me-41

Now using these visuals, we put it into action using our decanomial beads and hundred board number tiles (both Montessori Math materials from Absorbent Minds UK).

DSC_0575

Here we have the counting by 5’s. 

me-40 

And I compared it to the counting by 10’s. 

me-39

And his least favourite skip counting is by 2’s (because it takes a long time to read 10, he said LOL).

me-38

Now well be practicing this for the entire week.  I’m coming up with materials so we can use the concept using non-Montessori materials.  I’ll be sharing it with you so watch out for it.

 

Follow Pinay Homeschooler's board Montessori on Pinterest.

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child
Home + School = Afterschool!
Share It Saturday
The Natural Homeschool

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas! Love the hands on way of learning it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love those counting beads. So neat! I love the way you incorporate various activities to reinforce one lesson. A great way for kids to learn.

    Katie @ Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! We love using our decanomial beads and but I wanted to use other materials as well :D

    ReplyDelete