Bahay Kubo (Nipa Hut)

Monday 18 August 2014

Bahay Kubo is square shaped house with no divisions, just a door and windows.  It is made up of local materials such as wood or bamboo or  nipa grass.  It is a Philippine icon and represents the Filipino culture.  Note that these houses are raised, for proper ventilation I guess since the flooring is made up of bamboo.  Another reason is to avoid the flood.

Yes I have seen Bahay Kubo and have friends and relatives who used to live on this type of house.  Until now, they still exist and I can’t wait to show them to Mavi.  He has always been fascinated with Bahay Kubo. Maybe he can’t imagine how people can live on just a square house. 

Thus, I decided to create a model using cardboard boxes from Book Depository. 

bahaykubo copy

There are still people who lives in this stilt houses and I can’t wait to show it to Mavi when we visit the folks this year :)

I cut out the cardboard boxes into strips then stick them on a wooden BBQ skewers.

DSC_0649

And here’s how the skeleton  looks like when all four sides are attached. DSC_0656

Adding the roof which is made up of cardstock and a wooden ladder here’s the end product.

bahay kubo

Linking to:

Montessori Monday
TGIF Linky Party
Teach Beside Me
Preschool Corner
Teaching Mama
I Can Teach My Child
Home + School = Afterschool!

3 comments:

  1. WOW!!! This is so neat! I'm sure he'll also love being able to see real life versions in person.

    Katie @ Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Great way to make the story come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Beth :) The nipa house is indeed beautiful and enchanting especially to those who haven't seen them yet.

    ReplyDelete