Vertebrate Animals

Tuesday 29 April 2014

My son was excited when I told him that we'll be sorting out animals into their classification.  This was his long awaited activity and he was so happy that we get to finally do it (my cards were completed). 

So after our talk about the Animal Kingdom and how the classification of the Vertebrate animals differ, I gave him our Vertebrate Sorting Cards to classify each of the animals in the card based on their group.

DSC_0341

This was an activity that he enjoyed the most.  Now my observation is that he gets confused at times between reptiles and amphibians. So what I did was we talk more about their differences.  We watched videos of frogs, snakes, iguanas and chameleons so he can understand why these confusing animals belong to amphibians and reptiles.

           DSC_0349 DSC_0355

We did this activity a couple of times as he really really likes sorting them.

         DSC_0763 DSC_0784

Then he worked on this activity again only using his animal figures.

          DSC_0358 DSC_0360  

This is one great activity for a child who develops a love for animals or who is on a stage that is obsessing with animals. For the materials that were used in this activity we have:

The Vertebrate Sorting Cards

vertebratesortingsellfy

Safari Toobs animals figures (reptiles, fish, birds, amphibians and mammals) which I purchased here:

Schleich for the Dinosaurs which I also purchased here:

 

The next activity is learning the life cycles of these animals according to their group.  Exciting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.