Alphabet Sound Cards and Tracing Cards

Tuesday 7 May 2013

I am often asked I did I teach my son to read.  As some of you who might follow my blog religiously, I mentioned that at 3.5 yrs, he started reading books on his own. 

Well, there's no shortcut really.  It was a long process and I will give details on it if I have the time.  But I also advice my friends to read books to their kids and by the time they'll learn about the alphabet, expose them to gazillions of phonic activities.

My son's favorite was sorting objects/sound cards according to their beginning sounds.  Well we sorted with printable cards at first. I came across printables that were free but they were all in cartoonish form which I didn't think was appropriate because some of the images were difficult to identify.   I really prefer "real" images.  So what I did was make my own.

Alphabet Sound Card Preview

(Please click the image for the link)

The file includes:

  • 8 pictures per vowel (only 4 pictures for letter u)
  • 8 pictures per consonant (only 4 pictures for letters q,x,y,z)
  • 26 upper letter cards
  • 26 lower letter cards
  • 26 tracing cards for upper letters
  • 26 tracing cards for lower letters
  • FREE ALPHABET PICTURE BINGO CARDS

Here's how it looks like in action.  I still have them and my son still loves using them!

Picture1

(Laminated sorting cards)

And because tracing cards are so pricey, I also created my own version.  Here I printed them on an ordinary paper, put them on a cardboard and covered it with a contact paper.  Then I purchase a bunch of dry erase marker to use with my homemade cards. (Please click either of the images for the link)

                  trace1 trace2

This is how I made him practice writing aside from using the sandpaper letters.  Hmmm which reminds me to share how we do about our language and writing lessons when he was just about 2 yrs old!  Will definitely do that one of these days.

DSC_0341[2]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.