Learning how to tell the TIME

Monday 9 January 2012

DSC_0103

My son and I had the most wonderful time learning how to reach clocks and telling the time. I was able to purchase this clock board at ELC with 50% rip-off last Christmas and I just waited for the holidays to be over so I could teach the little one how to use it.  Then I printed out a matching game from this site to go along with our lesson(printed last year).

First thing, I talked about the clock and how it’s long and short hands works, and telling him that it is that hands that tells us the time.  Then I demonstrated how we read the HOUR through the hand’s position.  He was listening intently which really surprised me.  Afterwhich, I showed him how to ‘read’ the clock using it’s hands.  So I demonstrated this by configuring the hands and telling him what time it is set on.  Halfway through, he figured it out so instead of me, telling what time it is... I would just set the hands and would ask him “What time does the clock say?” 

I guess it’s not that complicated because he got everything right.  In fact, he insisted that he can do it by himself.  So here he is, doing the manipulation of the hands and would ask me what time does it say! He’s like that these days... likes to play my role :)

P1030345

These clock cut-outs were also taken from the penguin activity which I downloaded.  Here, I set up the clock and he would look for the match using the printables. 

P1030352

For another matching game, I made him match the clocks to the appropriate time indicated  in the penguin card.  He only did a few cards though... might be tired already from all the drills we did previously.

               P1030353 P1030355

So currently, we’re only learning the concept of the “time on the hour” .  I will introduce the minutes and seconds as he progress.  Do you have other activities you’d like to share in this area?

Linking this to:

linkandlearn-150x150 

1 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun game!!! Great activity... I absolutely love manipulatives when it comes to teaching math. Great job mama :)

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete