B4FIAR: Bear Hunt Story Sequencing

Monday 12 September 2011

It took my son weeks to get over the We’re Going on a Bear Hunt book.  He love it even more when he saw Michael Rosen’s video version. He’s been singing it 24/7! The very first thing that we did for the B4FIAR unit was to sequence the story in the book. 

First we read the book together.  Then we read it the second time, but as we do I would pause and ask him what was the first thing that the family encountered as they hunt for the bear, then what happened next and so on. My son would get confused between the mud, forest and snowstorm, but he can clearly describe each event.  Say, instead of saying ‘mud’, he’ll give me the “thick oozy mud”. 

 

DSC_0411

DSC_0426

Surprisingly, he can match the description with the picture.  But of course, we’ve been doing this activity for quite sometime now and he must have memorize it already.

The second time we did the activity (he asked for it!), I made each picture an a object to make it more “realistic”.  As seen on the pictures below, I made a grass, river, mud and cave out of construction paper.  The snowstorm, I added bits of styrofoam on the picture representing snow and for the forest, I made trees out of pipe-cleaners and construction papers.

       DSC_0440 DSC_0442

Boy oh boy! He looooveed this bear hunt world!

And I was really touched when he told me that there should be a family.  He said "Mama, where’s the family?”  So I made him a picture of a family.  In the picture I was the only one who’s not wearing a hat, so he insisted that I should also wear a hat.  I told him I cannot wear a hat, but he want it so badly that he added a hat on my picture, as you can see below.

                         DSC_0462 DSC_0463

And he positioned everything, including our miniature bear.  Oh he was so delighted!

DSC_0473

That night, he displayed his work on the window to preserve it for his Daddy to see.

DSC_0507

I will be posting more bear hunt activities.  So stay tuned! 

P.S.  I do not own these printables.  I’ve downloaded this story sequence printable a long long time ago and I forgot the source.  If ever you own this or came across the source, please do let me so I can add credits to this post.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by my blog! It really means a lot that you spare the time to read... and comment! Don't forget to check the "Notify Me" box so you will be notified of my response.